Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A very hard thing to blog about

A friend recently blogged about the dangers of being too passionate about what is happening in the lives of her friends. Her Mr. Wonderful suggested being passive with a situation involving a friend's seemingly bad choices.

This is my reply to her blog:

I don't know if there's a good answer to the passive vs. passionate question. We are who we are, but we also need to allow other people to make their own choices without it taking over us completely. I see this over and over with Mr. Perfect's kids. The two oldest have decided to choose their mom over their dad. They will contact him when they want something (usually money) but don't want him in their lives otherwise. It's been especially hard with his second daughter because they were so close, and she used to defend him when her older sister attacked. He can't remove himself from his kids' lives. We both know that's not an option. But I have a really hard time watching him being used by them and then ignored or openly mistreated.

Because the oldest has always chosen her mom's side, he's been dealing with this for years, but it's fresh for me. He will be there for them when they need it, but he also tells me that I don't have to. If a request comes to me for something, I now have the right to say no. In fact, he told me the next time the younger daughter asks for something, I shouldn't even consider it. I should just say "Hmm...considering how you treat me and your dad, why do you think I should do this for you?" This is a new concept for me. I love these kids and want what's best, but supporting them in things I find harmful or wrong or enabling their treatment of their dad isn't the best for anyone. It is okay to be passive, to look at your friend and say "I can't help you or support what you're doing right now." And it is okay, at times, to consider your own mental and emotional health, otherwise there won't be enough of you to help the next time.

So, does anyone else have some advice for either my friend or me with these kinds of situations? All suggestions will be gladly accepted and considered.

3 comments:

miss kristen said...

Thank you. My love for you knows no bounds.

Mrs.Spy said...

You know I'll chime in.....I use to be very passionate about what happened with Dh's kid's. I wasn't use to behavior I felt was not moral. I stressed and struggled and didn't know what my role was.
I was hurting and upset a lot about the kids.
Then I found a support group that suggested I look at hem as I would the child of a sibling. Kids I love, but at the end of the day...not my kids. Kids i want the best for and can offer advice with but...under the influence of a person who doesn't give a crap about how our house feels when they are in it. I started to disengage and tend to my own nest. i remended myself that my job is to make my home a place that has the spirit so that when they were over, they got a glimpse of what it would feel like if they embraced the Holy Ghost and chose a better path. My Dh's kids were first and foremost-- God's kids and he is the perfect parent. He was looking out for them and my job was to keep my sweet husband sustained so he could bear the trial of kids who were being poisoned daily against him and against the church by their mother. My home is the focus. they have to behave in my home and if they don't I walk away and remind them all "I'm not your mom, I don't owe you anything relationships are a two way street, kid."
It helps my Dh have better boundaries as well, while allowing him to honor his stewardship and relationship with kids who mostly treat him like dirt.
I serve my husband and make my home the kind of home I feel my father in heaven would be proud of. Not thier mother, not the skids, not even my bio kids - a home I feel God approves of.
And we still argue and fight and make messes and have bad days and say bad words. But the spirit is here.My role is to make sure the spirit is in our home, that Dh knows I love him and that I am the mom of this house whether it is stepkids, nieces and neohews or neighbor kids who are in it at the time.
If you need to or want to talk, my schedule is pretty open over the holidays and Leatherby's is just down the street.

Mrs.Spy said...

Andd one more thing, Nancy.....You are doing a good job. This is HARD. Super hard and nobody understands it unless they have experienced it. Honestly- not banning the drama and stress from your home completely is a lot more than a lot of women do. You are doing good, hang in there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random labels

30-day challenge 9-11 about me acapella accidents amazing America Anamaniacs animals animation anniversaries April Fool's Day Arizona art astronomy babies baking ballet ballooning baseball beaches Beatles Beethoven Belgium birthdays blogging boat ride Book of Mormon reading books bread cabin California camp camping canning car carrots castles Cedar City changes children chocolate bunnies Christmas church civics clouds college construction contests cookies cooking coyote gulch daily prompt daisies date night dealing with youth death December Despicable Me dining disater preparedness discovery Disney Disney World Disneyland dog Drama Queen ducks Easter education Elder Bednar empty-nesting engagements Escalante extended family fall family vacations fashion Father's Day FHE fishing flowers food foreign freedom friends frustration Game Boy gardening General Conference genius children giveaway glasses gospel truths government graduations Grand Canyon grief hair Halloween Handel happiness health hiking Hilary Weeks holiday holidays home decor home improvements honors hospitals HTML classes humor illness injuries iPod Isle of Mull Jim Tomlinson July 4th jury duty just for fun kids' stuff Lagoon Lawyer-in-the-Family Lawyer-in-the-Works leaves Life of Christ light lights London love love love Mac Man in Plays Manito Gardens memorial Memorial Day Messiah minions missions MJ Structural Engineers morning Most Happy Girl Mother's Day mothers mountains movies moving Mr. Director Mr. Perfect Muppets music nature New Beginnings normal life O.K.Go ocean opera outdoors patriotic Percy and Harry photography piano piano guys pie pink pirates plants playing with Photoshop politics poppies portraits Psycho Wunderhund pumpkins quote of the day reading red remembering resting roller skating roses RSE San Antonio school Scotland seasons Shakespeare shopping singing skies smoke in the air Sondre Lerche space Spokane spring Stacey Kent standing stones Star Wars storms sun sunrise Super Teacher Woman SUU symphony teaching technology television Temple Square temples Thanksgiving theatre toddlers travel trees uinta mountains University of Utah USF Utah Utah Jazz Utah Symphony Valentines Day Veggie Tales voting Wasatch Front water weather web design wedding weddings wordless wednesday work world trade center writing yard work Young Womens Youth Conference YouTube YW camp